How much of you is determined by your genes? 50%, 90% or 5%?
Studies have shown that actually the genes your born with only determine 5% of what you will end up being like, looking like and feeling. The other 95% that creates you comes from your environment; what you eat, how you live.
Much research has been done looking at identical twins (with identical genes), and they have concluded that the majority of the factors that contribute to ageing and degenerative disease are due to the environment, not the inherited genes.
Picture it this way, if twins grew up together they would most likely look pretty similar when they are young. One of the twins becomes an elite athlete, training every day and eating well, the other twin becomes an office worker, living a mostly sedimentary lifestyle, eating mainly junk food and processed meals.
Now, as you can imagine these twins will look very different, and with more and more time the differences would enlarge. It’s the environment, not genetics that cause the difference seen in twins.
Today it’s been proven that your diet, whether it’s good or bad will switch genes on or off. (Epigenetic's- science on how environmental signals affect your genes). The environment and food choices that we make constantly change the activity of our genes, shaping who we become.
Here’s a great example of how biology works in the human body, every single cell in the human body has the same DNA code. Each cell starts as a stem cell, but the different environments they get put under makes them totally different; bloods cells, nerve cells, liver cells, bone cells, all the same DNA code but hugely different to one another.
Now here’s something pretty freaky… only 80% of our height is determined by our genes! The rest is mostly affected during the pregnancy, the environment that the mother and the baby are in; food, drink, stress, and health.
(n.b. histone acetylation activates genes- DNA methylation silences genes)